Ingredients for one double-crust pie
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons leaf lard (cut into small pieces)
- 8 tablespoons butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup vodka, cold (brandy works just as well)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Combine all ingredients except the water and vodka in a medium bowl.
- Blend with a pastry cutter. Be careful to not overwork the dough.
Sprinkle the water and vodka over the mixture and then, with a rubber spatula, use a folding motion to mix the dough together. You are looking for a consistency where the dough just holds together in a ball and is no longer powdery. Add additional water and/or vodka if needed to reach the desired consistency.
- Divide the dough into two balls and flatten each into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.